Friday 15 July 2016

Day 14: Budapest

Due to the joys of air conditioning, we had an excellent nights sleep, and when we woke up we were raring to go. It was hot (32 degrees at 10), sunny and we were ready to go. We were out quickly, and we grabbed the metro into the new town. We started by grabbing a sandwich at the Star Wars themed Bors Gaztrobar, where I can say I had, arguably, the best sandwich of my entire life - and I eat a lot of sandwiches! With these in hand we headed into the town, walking past amazing pastel buildings, and even finding a cool water park where the jets turned on and off randomly, so you would never know if you would get sprayed. Luckily we escaped unscathed. 

Without realising, we had been walking for two hours, and we hadn't even seen the major sights yet. They were in fact on the hill opposite us, stunning Budapest Castle and the Fishermans Bastion, as well as the Matthias Church, something I didn't even realise was a sight until I saw it! But to get there we first had to cross the river. The Danube. And to do this, we crossed the Chain Bridge, only the most famous bridge in Budapest, which was equally beautiful.

A short climb later, we were there, first the castle, not quite as pretty as Prague's, but pretty stunning views, then to the Bastion, with its fairytale spires, and the best views of the City. Right behind this was the Matthias Church, which boasts an amazing patterned roof. Overall, we rated it as pretty damn nice, and we'd burnt another few hours up there. I know I'm underselling it, but that's only because it's so hard to put into words how beautiful Budapest is

The final thing we decided to do with our day was to visit the Margaret Island. Now this was something Mollie and I hadn't heard of before going, and to be completely honest, I only suggested it because I saw there was a bridge that connected it handily. So we hopped on the Metro and headed over. It was amazing. There was a huge park and forest, and right in the middle there was a huge musical fountain, which you could dip your feet into and relax in the sun. It was probably the best thing we did all day, and we did it by accident! 

At about 7, we headed home, exhausted from all the walking. We stopped off in tesco, and we bought some ingredients for Harvey's home cooked Bolognese (surprisingly I can cook, mum you better be proud of me!). We were shattered, and after dinner we collapsed into bed, ready for a day of relaxation.

1 comment: